Thursday, August 22, 2013

To paint or not to paint

 
I had my eye on this gorgeous antique chest of drawers for about three weeks and I finally bought it a couple of days ago. It was just as beautiful in person as it was on Craigslist. Regardless, I knew I was going to paint it. Some things I will never paint. One of those things is a church pew. Someday whenever I can afford one, I will put it in my someday long entry/mudroom and I'll never let a brush touch it. Some things shouldn't be painted because you want to keep that story intact and to paint it, would change the character of the story. With that said...I just knew this chest of drawers would look even better painted.
 
 
I had a bit of trouble deciding on a color. When you're painting an antique, it would totally suck to screw it up, so that was making me anxious. So, I went with my gut and painted it in "coco" chalk paint. It was already dinged up and weathered, which made for perfection in the distressing area. I wish you could see the weatheredness (not sure if that's a word) of this piece.
 
 
 
One of the requirements I have when selecting furniture pieces, like this, for our home is that they can serve more than one purpose. If you know me, you know that I am constantly moving things around. Nothing stays in one place for long, that's for sure. Even if you're not one to change things up often, it's nice to be able to invest in pieces that can work in different places. If I were having another baby, which I am totally not- really- I would totally rock this in my nursery as a changing table. Would be darling!

 
 
And here it is. I love it. How am I going to part with this one?...
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment