Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ahead

 
My husband took this picture of our son in Yorktown, on one of the stops on our recent road trip. I love everything about it. I love that my son's hair is a little sweaty. I love his neck. I love how grown he looks. I love the texture of the wood on the house...the old bricks...I also love how it represents the way I feel sometimes, like I just can't see what's ahead. Instead of finding comfort in that, it causes deep impatience. It causes me to focus more on the things I don't know and can't change, then all the wonderful things about the now. I like knowing what to expect. I think most people are probably like that. I like being able to plan. I like a nice, spontaneous trip, but I'm not so down with life surprises, you know? I'm probably the norm here. I feel like God should put it in my nice, monogrammed planner. Obviously, He doesn't do that. He knows me. He made me. He wants to protect me from the future. Not necessarily because there may be something ahead that is scary, but also because there may be something ahead that is so incredible that I just wouldn't be able to believe it. I'm 29 and a 1/2 and I think I'm just now understanding that it is God who determines my steps and trusting in that.
 
 
My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to
understanding-
indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the
Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and
understanding.
He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is
blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right
and just
and fair- every good path.
For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your
soul.
Discretion will protect you,
and understanding will guard you.
 
Proverbs 2:1-11
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment